CodeIgniter is a Web Application Development Framework for PHP Developers. It provides a rich set of libraries for commonly needed tasks, as well as a simple interface and logical structure to access these libraries.
These libraries help you develop projects much faster than you could if you were writing PHP code from scratch. For example, there is a Database Library to make it easier and more convenient to execute SQL queries, such as CREATE, READ, UPDATE, DELETE, etc.
Essentially, CodeIgniter allows you focus more on the creative side of your project by minimizing the amount of code needed for a given task.
Codeigniter offers you the following features and advantages:
- Small footprint – entire source code for CodeIgniter framework is close to 2MB .
- Loosely coupled – components work independently without relying too much on each other.
- Exceptional performance – lightning fast and loads on average around less than 50ms.
- Nearly zero configuration – just upload the files on the server and get started instantly.
- Excellent documentation – well documented and great community support via the forum.
- Short learning curve – easy to master for anyone who is already familiar with PHP.
CodeIgniter primarily uses the Model, View, Controller (MVC) approach to application design and development. It tries to separate application logic from the application design. The application logic is the Controller, whereas the application design is the View. The Model is primarily for handling database interactions.